Don't Eat That! 4 Signs Your Dog Has Ingested A Poison

Pets & Animals Blog

Dogs are constantly sniffing around, looking for new things to eat. Some of the things they'll find to eat might not be safe for them. To prevent your dog from accidental poisonings, it's important that you pet-proof your home, as much as possible. That includes keeping some foods away from your pet. Some of the foods that are toxic for your dog include onions, chocolate, and grapes – to name just a few.

Unfortunately, it can be impossible to provide your dog with around the clock monitoring. If you suspect that your dog has gotten into something toxic, it's important for you to know the warning signs. If your dog begins to exhibit any of the warning signs described below, you'll need to get to the vet as soon as possible.

Behavioral Changes

If your dog has eaten something that it shouldn't have, it may begin to exhibit changes in its behavior. These behavioral changes will occur as the poisons filters through your dog's system. Your dog may become anxious or agitated. It may also begin to lurch forward as it walks or stagger uncontrollably. You may also notice an increase in the amount of drool that your dog produces.

Unusual Bleeding

If your dog has gotten into rodent bait – pesticides designed to kill mice and rats – you may notice unusual bleeding. Most rodent baits contain an ingredient known as warfarin, which can cause bleeding from any opening in the body, including the ears, nose, and rectum. Unfortunately, your dog may be symptom-free for several days after ingesting rodent bait. You should take your dog to the vet as soon as you notice any type of bleeding problems.

Breathing Problems

If your dog spends a lot of time in the garage, it could be breathing in carbon monoxide. This is particularly true if your dog is in the garage when you start your car throughout the day. Carbon monoxide exposure can lead to breathing problems, which can include gasping for air or panting. Carbon monoxide exposure can also cause your dog's lips and tongue to turn red.

Muscle Weakness

If your dog has ingested a toxic substance, it may develop muscle weakness, especially as the toxins filter through its system. Some signs of muscle weakness include difficulty walking or the inability to hold its head up.

If you suspect that your dog has ingested something that it shouldn't, and it's exhibiting any of the signs described above, you need to seek medical attention immediately. If your pet has begun vomiting, place a small sample in a baggie and bring it to the vet. 

To find an emergency vet clinic now, check out a site like


26 January 2017

Loving Your Pets

After our youngest daughter was in high school, I realized that I liked having people around to take care of and that my window for doing that was closing quickly. Instead of having more children, I decided to see about adopting a pet or two. I looked everywhere for a dog and a cat that would meld well with my lifestyle, and it was incredible to find a pet that I really connected with. However, I was able to find pets that I absolutely adored, and so I made them a part of our home. This blog is here to help new pet owners to adjust to their new situation and to learn to love everything about having new pets.